Labour watch

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

Re: Labour watch

PostPosted by Max B Gold » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:12 pm

Orient Meat Pie wrote:
Although I am still chuckling that you think inequality is only at the bottom end of the pay scale, not the top end.

It is only the bottom end of the economy that needs fixing. If that gets fixed, then the only reason to object to people earning too much is envy.

Hehe - you've got me chucklin' along now.
Max B Gold
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Nice Username wrote:And if the company isn't making a profit in that financial year? Why bother changing it all around when you could have that money guaranteed in income tax? It literally makes no sense.

Corbyn is backtracking on it anyway. He just said it would be 'voluntary' - can see that being hugely popular.

All of this is irrelevant of course, you know that deep down.

I'm happy to have no wage cap if you want to implement an income tax rate of say 99 or 100% above that £1m level, or whatever is agreed upon. That works for me too. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, for a change. Inequality is a massive issue as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to be convinced otherwise. I know you're not a massive leftie but I thought you would think so too.

Got a link for where Jezza has now said this is going to be voluntary? That's an interesting development on the days events.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Orient Meat Pie wrote:
Although I am still chuckling that you think inequality is only at the bottom end of the pay scale, not the top end.

It is only the bottom end of the economy that needs fixing. If that gets fixed, then the only reason to object to people earning too much is envy.

Seriously?
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Nice Username » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:29 pm

Off The Hook wrote:
Nice Username wrote:And if the company isn't making a profit in that financial year? Why bother changing it all around when you could have that money guaranteed in income tax? It literally makes no sense.

Corbyn is backtracking on it anyway. He just said it would be 'voluntary' - can see that being hugely popular.

I'm happy to have no wage cap if you want to implement an income tax rate of say 99 or 100% above that £1m level, or whatever is agreed upon. That works for me too. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, for a change. Inequality is a massive issue as far as I'm concerned, I'm not going to be convinced otherwise. I know you're not a massive leftie but I thought you would think so too.

Got a link for where Jezza has now said this is going to be voluntary? That's an interesting development on the days events.

I don't have a link, I literally heard him saying it in one of his Q&As today. If I see the clip online I'll post it.

We will have to agree to disagree, and it's one of the classic Old/New Labour disagreements (for want of better terms in 2017), so it's not really a surprise.
Nice Username
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:37 pm

I've seen reports online that he would prefer a multiples based approach but can't see anything as ridiculous as him saying it could be voluntary. Please don't let him have said that FFS.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Pie and Mash » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:09 pm

Off The Hook wrote:I've seen reports online that he would prefer a multiples based approach but can't see anything as ridiculous as him saying it could be voluntary. Please don't let him have said that FFS.

Here you go mate, the policy lasted less than 12 hours

https://www.ft.com/content/48f6bc34-d74 ... eb37a6aa8e
Pie and Mash
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Polly On The Shore » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:11 pm

Jeremy Corbyn....

"Labour is not wedded to freedom of movement for EU citizens as a point of principle, but I don't want that to be misinterpreted, nor do we rule it out."

Righto Jezza, hang on in there son.... :D
Polly On The Shore
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:17 pm

Nice Username wrote:
Off The Hook wrote:

I don't have a link, I literally heard him saying it in one of his Q&As today. If I see the clip online I'll post it.

We will have to agree to disagree, and it's one of the classic Old/New Labour disagreements (for want of better terms in 2017), so it's not really a surprise.

It's not voluntary, it's a kite mark. In your face, NU!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38568116
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Polly On The Shore » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Skid mark more like.
Polly On The Shore
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Nice Username » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm

So voluntary then.
Nice Username
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:51 pm

Yeah but you can put an emblem on your stationery.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Dunners » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 pm

:D @ JS.
Dunners
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Jeepster » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:57 am

Another marginal seat by-election coming up, as careerist flannel-spouter Tristram Hunt decamps to a cushy museum job at the V&A.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... a-director
Jeepster
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by mistadobalina » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:04 am

Will be interesting to see how strong the UKIP surge is. No idea what the odds are on it happening (probably unlikely), but two by-election defeats for Corbs surely must spell the end?
mistadobalina
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by Polly On The Shore » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:33 am

Polly On The Shore
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Pie and Mash » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 am

Reckon labour will win narrowly in Copeland and convincingly in Stoke (where they are best priced 4/7 to retain their seat).

All you Tramp trash talkers will be sorry when he is triumphant
Pie and Mash
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Nice Username » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

If Labour don't win both by elections then there's something even more wrong than I thought.

Even below average oppositions don't lose seats to governing parties.

I imagine there are a fair few MPs just sick of it now, don't blame them at all. Plenty of Labour voters who could never vote for the party in its current state, no surprise there are MPs who feel the same.
Nice Username
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Max B Gold » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 am

Jeepster wrote:Another marginal seat by-election coming up, as careerist flannel-spouter Tristram Hunt decamps to a cushy museum job at the V&A.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... a-director

My understanding is that Tristam is related to James Hunt. Am I right?
Last edited by Max B Gold on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max B Gold
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Max B Gold » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:49 am

mistadobalina wrote:Will be interesting to see how strong the UKIP surge is. No idea what the odds are on it happening (probably unlikely), but two by-election defeats for Corbs surely must spell the end?

Labour will win both easily.
Max B Gold
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Nice Username wrote:
I imagine there are a fair few MPs just sick of it now, don't blame them at all.

Agreed, poor old Tristram.

As he was unable to complete his life time objective of combating the "harrowing effects of poverty and inequality upon social mobility", I don't blame him for stepping down as an MP and taking up his new role as Director of the V&A museum where he will be able to achieve it. :lol:
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat