Best-ever Visiting XI

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

Re: Best-ever Visiting XI

PostPosted by TheBestFred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 am

Il Commissario Montalbano wrote:
TheBestFred wrote:This thread seems heavily weighted towards the 60's and 70's. In recent years I'd put Alex Song, Tomas Rosicky, Rickie Lambert, and Lloyd Dyer in there.

Also as far as players who have single handedly torn us a new one - Lee Steele and Gary Taylor Fletcher spring to mind.

Lee Trundle is another to have single-handedly destroyed us in a game.

Although it was an away game, Nathan Ellington for Bristol Rovers in a Boxing Day game in the early 2000s absolutely ripped us to shreds. One of those occasions where everything a player does is several levels above every other player on the pitch.

I remember Ellington too. I think the game ended about 5-3 and Jamal Campbell-Ryce scored an absolute worldie. Would've been about 2003. Whatever happened to Ellington after he went to Wigan.... never seemed to do it above league 1 level. But what a player.
TheBestFred
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Orient Meat Pie » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:36 am

One of the most impressive away team solo performances I saw was a little midfield dynamo who bossed Brighton's team. Cox, I think his name was.
Orient Meat Pie
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by captain scarlet » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:28 am

Eddie von Sphincter wrote:
I'm sure he played as a beer gutted beardo against us for Torquay or Bournemouth in the Cup in about 1984.
I remember my Dad telling me he was once the greatest player in the world,and me thinking nah.

That was David webb. Tony currie played in that game too and we won 3-0 to set up a third round tie v WBA.
captain scarlet
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by jonesm » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:41 am

Ryan Giggs, Mark Hughes, Neville Southall.
Sadly a sorry looking David Rocastle playing for Hull if not mistaken
jonesm
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by rolyorient » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:21 pm

I remember Dennis Law, and he didn't get a look in, thanks to our own Dennis Sorrell, I believe.
rolyorient
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by TheBestFred » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Sadly a lot of players are physically washed up by the time they drop down to league one or two. Although their touch never leaves them.

It's a shame players don't do it anymore and would rather go to the MLS or China to see out their days. Can hardly blame them.

JT will be the next one. Legs have gone.
TheBestFred
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by osal » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Although over the years, I have seen virtually all the 'great' players mentioned on here, Moore, Greaves, Law etc. The one that stands out for me was Jan Molby, playing for Swansea in the late nineties, he must have been close to 17 stone or more, never broke into a sweat, and was comfortably the best player on the pitch, by some distance.
osal
Level Three Boarder
Level Three Boarder

PostPosted by tuffers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:09 pm

2 goalkeepers always stand out
Jim Stannard Utter Gash against everyone but us at home , where he seemed t9 morph into a world beater .

The other was Eric Nixon for tranmere .

Dougie Freedman ripped us one night for forest in some nonsense cup match
tuffers
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by TerryB » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:51 pm

tuffers wrote:2 goalkeepers always stand out
Jim Stannard Utter Gash against everyone but us at home , where he seemed t9 morph into a world beater .

The other was Eric Nixon for tranmere .

Dougie Freedman ripped us one night for forest in some nonsense cup match

So true about Jim Stannard :D
TerryB
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by LittleMateO » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

captain scarlet wrote:I remember a 41/2 year old Tommy Hutchinson, coming to Brisbane Road with Swansea in the latter part of his career and ripping us apart virtually single handed.

30 years ago next month in a 1-4 thrashing. I remember Worthington running the show here v stockport in 1988 in a 1-1 draw.

Not many need to drop down the leagues nowdays as they have made enough money when playing in the top flight. Marco gabbiadini was useful for darlo but that's over 10 years ago.

Jan Molby player-manager for Swansea. Walked the game with a cup of tea and a couple of burgers whilst sweeping - and still won
LittleMateO
Level One Boarder
Level One Boarder

Previous

Return to General Chat