Best-ever Visiting XI

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

Best-ever Visiting XI

PostPosted by Tony Mac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:35 pm

Just for a bit of fun, what would be your best-ever combined visiting XI?

Select the best opponents you have seen play at Leyton Orient down the years and combine them together to form a team.

If you go back as far as the first and second division days, you could select a star-studded international class line-up, including the likes of:

George Best, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, John White, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Johnny Byrne, Phil Woosnam, Ray Wilson, Alan Ball, Peter Osgood, Francis Lee, Rodney Marsh, Malcolm Macdonald, etc.
Tony Mac

Re: Best-ever Visiting XI

PostPosted by DiggerH » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:49 pm

Tony Mac wrote:Just for a bit of fun, what would be your best-ever combined visiting XI?

Select the best opponents you have seen play at Leyton Orient down the years and combine them together to form a team.

If you go back as far as the first and second division days, you could select a star-studded international class line-up, including the likes of:

George Best, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, John White, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Johnny Byrne, Phil Woosnam, Ray Wilson, Alan Ball, Peter Osgood, Francis Lee, Rodney Marsh, Malcolm Macdonald, etc.

This makes me feel really old. I think I was 9/10 years old when I saw Denis Law playing for Huddersfield Town. Think he moved to Manchester City around 1960.
DiggerH

PostPosted by AjaxTreesDown » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:54 pm

Fonte, Schneiderlin and Lallana have all played at Brisbane Road for Southampton.
AjaxTreesDown
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by TerryB » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:00 pm

I remember a 41/2 year old Tommy Hutchinson, coming to Brisbane Road with Swansea in the latter part of his career and ripping us apart virtually single handed.
TerryB
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by eagwgw » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:01 pm

By the nature of technicalities if you count pre-season friendlies you could add a load of Arsenal and Spurs players in there as well.
In fact by my reckoning you could get a current Premiership XI that has played here in recent times.

If we're talking best individual performances that could be interesting.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Timmo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:05 pm

I have heard some people say they saw Sir Stan Matthews play in E10
for either Blackpool or Stoke. Can anyone confirm this?
Timmo
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by y o y o y » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:06 pm

Tony Mac wrote:George Best, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, John White, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Johnny Byrne, Phil Woosnam, Ray Wilson, Alan Ball, Peter Osgood, Francis Lee, Rodney Marsh, Malcolm Macdonald, etc.

Great players indeed,but the one visiting player sticks in my mind is Cyrille Regis .He received a standing ovation when subbed towards the end of the match v Chester City
y o y o y
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Tony Mac » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:11 pm

Fabio Capello played at Orient for Roma in a friendly in 1970.
Tony Mac

PostPosted by Harry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:17 pm

y o y o y wrote:
Tony Mac wrote:George Best, Denis Law, Jimmy Greaves, Danny Blanchflower, John White, Bobby Moore, Gordon Banks, Martin Peters, Johnny Byrne, Phil Woosnam, Ray Wilson, Alan Ball, Peter Osgood, Francis Lee, Rodney Marsh, Malcolm Macdonald, etc.

Great players indeed,but the one visiting player sticks in my mind is Cyrille Regis .He received a standing ovation when subbed towards the end of the match v Chester City

Remember that well yoyoy. He was right at the end of his career but on a completely different level to anyone on the pitch that game, he looked genuinely taken aback by his ovation but he was awesome on the day.
Harry
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Timmo » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:41 pm

Cyrille was in the Supporters Club when he was helping
out with the Laurie Cunningham memorial and he still
remembers that ovation with genuine affection.
Timmo
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Bruce Banner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:42 pm

Frank Worthington was player manager of someone in the 80's. He could hardly run, but he made us look silly
Bruce Banner
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Hedmans Header » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:27 pm

Worthington was quality when he played for Tranmere as player manager
against us in 85 scoring a great goal..
Hedmans Header
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by captain scarlet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:24 pm

I remember a 41/2 year old Tommy Hutchinson, coming to Brisbane Road with Swansea in the latter part of his career and ripping us apart virtually single handed.

30 years ago next month in a 1-4 thrashing. I remember Worthington running the show here v stockport in 1988 in a 1-1 draw.

Not many need to drop down the leagues nowdays as they have made enough money when playing in the top flight. Marco gabbiadini was useful for darlo but that's over 10 years ago.
captain scarlet
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Loyal_Supporter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:52 pm

I've not seen many top quality players visiting Orient but Ryan Giggs, Alex Song and Alan Shearer all come to mind.

Special shout outs to Adam Lallana, Jose Fonte, Rickie Lambert, Grant Holt, Britt Assombalonga and (though not a player) Sir Bobby Robson. One of the greatest English managers ever.
Loyal_Supporter
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by RVO » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:58 pm

Have to agree, the classiest performance I ever saw in the years I have been down the O's was....Frank Worthington. What he did with the ball that day was just fantastic....never to be forgotten.
RVO
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 pm

Just a couple of the best opposition players that i have seen play really well at Brisbane road, Gordon Banks, Alan Ball, Geoff Hurst, Bobby Moore, Maurice Norman, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Smith, Ron Davies. Must also mention Peter Thompson, a really magical left winger for Preston North end and Liverpool. If Ramsey had not stopped using wingers, then surely would have been capped many times for England !!
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by BIGRON » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:31 pm

Most of the teams that have visited Brisbane road this season have been made to look world beaters by us !!
BIGRON
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Norfolk_O » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:02 pm

If we are including pre season friendlies, then one of the best would have to be Colombian international Carlos Valderrama playing for Real Valladolid.
Norfolk_O
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by Proposition Joe » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:15 pm

Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy in the Crewe side that destroyed us 1-4 in 94/5.
Proposition Joe
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:16 pm

Some very decent players in that Arsenal side that came here 6-7 years ago now. Likes of Arshavin and Fabregas in particular spring to ming
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

Next

Return to General Chat