We haven't died yet for goodness sake

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

We haven't died yet for goodness sake

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:40 am

Don't really get the doom mongering at this point? Sure we're in dire straits and heading down a path unknown but Jesus get a grip, we're nowhere near extinct yet. Reading this forum you'd think we'd already started the funeral plans.

Irrespective of what Becchetti does, we need to maintain FL status as the biggest priority.

We're not really near that stage of Phoenix club planning, emergency rescues etc. We have no idea what the unpredictable FB might do, and for one you'd think it would be in his interest to find a buyer anyway, who that might be I haven't a clue but that isn't my prerogative. I would agree that's the most worrying part because I don't see any redeeming assets to the club at the minute. Having said this, I've seen far stranger things than a wealthy investor purchasing a struggling football club, a consortium getting together, pulling together fan ownership arrangements, we've still got a lot of potential options and we haven't even had to cross those bridges yet.

The past 3 or 4 years has seen selmdon few FL clubs fold, in fact I'm struggling to think of one? I know Northampton came close last season and they didn't have it so bad did they?

My point being, the club hasn't died and nor do I envisage it going. Of course a lot will depend on FBs thinking with the debts and whatever he chooses to saddle the club with, but there's a long way to go- we've only hit the iceberg there's a lot more water to take on before we sink.

All we can do is try and rally behind the team on the field because we'll give ourselves a far better chance to survive as a club if we stay up, that's for sure
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

Re: We haven't died yet for goodness sake

PostPosted by Loyal_Supporter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 am

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....
Loyal_Supporter
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:45 am

jamie9456 wrote:All we can do is try and rally behind the team on the field because we'll give ourselves a far better chance to survive as a club if we stay up, that's for sure

Well said. I wish LOFT would pack it in with their ridiculous contingency planning and instead focus their energies on cheering the lads on to survival.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:48 am

Loyal_Supporter wrote:Hope for the best, prepare for the worst....

Sure, I don't have full confidence in LOFTs preparedness but apparently they've been preparing for this anyway for months themselves and it was interesting listening to someone at the last AGM who has been working hard to pull together some sort of consortium. But we're nowhere near crossing that bridge anyway so I don't really get all the depression at the moment. Becchetti, wants to sell LOFC, isn't that some sort of result in itself for the 95% of this board who have been calling for his head for months anyway?
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by aylesburyos » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:50 am

the way some are talking we are nearly in administration with a points deduction.
aylesburyos
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 am

aylesburyos wrote:the way some are talking we are nearly in administration with a points deduction.

Indeed. When in reality we're not anywhere near talking about points deductions let alone completely folding
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Jeepster » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 am

At least one superfan commentator in another corner of the interweb can see the woods for the trees:

MY HONEST ASSESSMENT.......

For me, the entire situation, whilst actually becoming more complex, is actually becoming further simplified.

So that's cleared that up. But no prizes for guessing who wrote it, I'm afraid.
Jeepster
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 am

:D
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by intraday » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:07 am

I believe that if FB really wanted to kill our club and was that vindictive,he would have left Cavasin in charge..He made the decision to get rid and install AE..That was not long ago and at least a positive!!...It's worth more to him in this div than the one below..Let's hope at least he allows AE to use the Simpson money/wages to improve the squad in a couple of areas..
intraday
Level One Boarder
Level One Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 am

Ain't looking promising with Cheltenham and Newport strengthening.

But look at our side, we ain't short in numbers in either defence or midfield. We are short of a winger and a striker, but first choice XI we are still better than a lot of the sides down there, IMO. We could still field a side without any kids, apart from left wing and even then we have people like N'Nomo, Semedo, who have ability if not consistency.

Edwards is literally getting a free ride from those in the media and certain fans, but his defensive performances are nothing better than what Cavasin managed with exactly the same players. I think that is a reason why some people are talking as if we are playing with a team of 16-year-olds, as then it doesn't become the managers fault.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:13 am

eagwgw wrote:Ain't looking promising with Cheltenham and Newport strengthening.

But look at our side, we ain't short in numbers in either defence or midfield. We are short of a winger and a striker, but first choice XI we are still better than a lot of the sides down there, IMO. We could still field a side without any kids, apart from left wing and even then we have people like N'Nomo, Semedo, who have ability if not consistency.

Edwards is literally getting a free ride from those in the media and certain fans, but his defensive performances are nothing better than what Cavasin managed with exactly the same players. I think that is a reason why some people are talking as if we are playing with a team of 16-year-olds, as then it doesn't become the managers fault.

I know you've got it in for AE but how is this post relevant to this thread?
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by A Pedant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 am

jamie9456 wrote:We have no idea what the unpredictable FB might do

Nail hit on head, right there.

Off The Hook wrote:
jamie9456 wrote:All we can do is try and rally behind the team on the field because we'll give ourselves a far better chance to survive as a club if we stay up, that's for sure

Well said. I wish LOFT would pack it in with their ridiculous contingency planning and instead focus their energies on cheering the lads on to survival.

:D

To be fair, there is room for both planning for the worst AND cheering the team on.
A Pedant
Level Three Boarder
Level Three Boarder

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 am

Right so if we've got no idea then why is everyone crying themselves to sleep?
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Il Commissario Montalbano » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 am

Some people (including prominent members of LOFFT) have had a hard-on for the idea of a phoenix club ever since the takeover was announced. They've even mentioned it in interviews with BBC London.

As above, planning for the worst is fine, but retaining our league status and, failing that (or even if we succeed), rescuing the club we already have should be the absolute priority. There should be no mention of phoenix clubs unless Leyton Orient FC actually ceases to exist.
Il Commissario Montalbano
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by A Pedant » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

Il Commissario Montalbano wrote:There should be no mention of phoenix clubs unless Leyton Orient FC actually ceases to exist.

Couldn't agree more, that's the absolute worst case disaster scenario. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be planned for though.
A Pedant
Level Three Boarder
Level Three Boarder

PostPosted by GoochDogHighFives » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:44 am

Il Commissario Montalbano wrote:Some people (including prominent members of LOFFT) have had a hard-on for the idea of a phoenix club ever since the takeover was announced. They've even mentioned it in interviews with BBC London.

As above, planning for the worst is fine, but retaining our league status and, failing that (or even if we succeed), rescuing the club we already have should be the absolute priority. There should be no mention of phoenix clubs unless Leyton Orient FC actually ceases to exist.

Trust me, that is the last thing that anyone in LOFT wants. No one wants to see our club gone. It is not even guaranteed to work. A very unfair and untrue statement.

Please explain your how you have come to that conclusion (and show your workings)
GoochDogHighFives
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by pandy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:46 am

Cheering them on! don't make me laugh, most fans just sit in silence. Yes there is a very thin line between panicking and making plans but getting relegated and having no ground are the nearist I've ever known it since the buckets went round. ....PANIC.
pandy
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by WasSpike » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:53 am

A Pedant wrote:
Il Commissario Montalbano wrote:There should be no mention of phoenix clubs unless Leyton Orient FC actually ceases to exist.

Couldn't agree more, that's the absolute worst case disaster scenario. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be planned for though.

Agreed - putting lifeboats on a ship doesn't make it sink - nor does it indicate that you want it to sink.
WasSpike
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Loyal_Supporter » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 am

jamie9456 wrote:

Becchetti, wants to sell LOFC, isn't that some sort of result in itself for the 95% of this board who have been calling for his head for months anyway?

Certainly is. Shows that fan power can actually result in something.
Loyal_Supporter
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Jurgen Windcaller's Horn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 am

Loyal_Supporter wrote:
jamie9456 wrote:

Becchetti, wants to sell LOFC, isn't that some sort of result in itself for the 95% of this board who have been calling for his head for months anyway?

Certainly is. Shows that fan power can actually result in something.

Well, that or his mama has stopped giving him pocket money because he hasn't been tidying his room.
Jurgen Windcaller's Horn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Next

Return to General Chat