The ten League games benchmark.

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

The ten League games benchmark.

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am

Well we are coming up to the ten League games played benchmark that many including myself have talked of. So whats the verdict so far ? 9 games played, 5 wins, 3 losses and one draw, not too bad for a team that was cobbled together in such a short time, with a collection of mainly journeymen players some of whom are in their mid to early 30s. Would appear that we play better at home than away, E.g Home record is 4 played, 3 wins and one draw, away 5 games played, 2 wins and 3 losses. Its going to take time guys, to get to where we want to be. We have good owners now and some players and backroom staff will no doubt change as times go on. Fact is that we are a happier club after the hell of the last 3 years and i am sure that with patience we will be back in the football League in not too long a time. I feel that this season is all about stabilisation and the launching point for next season.
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

Re: The ten League games benchmark.

PostPosted by Andersonitis » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:17 am

Spot on
Andersonitis
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by omygawd » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:22 am

Yep. I have always thought that anything above mid table would be difficult particularly given the age of many of our players and their track record with injuries. Heavier pitches are going to take their toll too and the 10 game mark is where I think there should be some experimentation with some more of our younger players. However it seems like that will have to happen anyway given yesterday's injuries.
omygawd
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:26 am

Andersonitis wrote:Spot on

But seems from many comments on this board.... ( for just one, note the thread ''Davis' ') that some supporters, after only 9 games played, are already getting impatient and even talking of getting rid of the manager Steve Davis !!
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:28 am

omygawd wrote:Yep. I have always thought that anything above mid table would be difficult particularly given the age of many of our players and their track record with injuries. Heavier pitches are going to take their toll too and the 10 game mark is where I think there should be some experimentation with some more of our younger players. However it seems like that will have to happen anyway given yesterday's injuries.

Yes agree. We must avoid getting too impatient and start the ''sack the manager'' cycle again. We saw what happened last season when that policy was in practice !!
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by RedDwarf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:34 am

Sid Bishop wrote:Well we are coming up to the ten League games played benchmark that many including myself have talked of. So whats the verdict so far ? 9 games played, 5 wins, 3 losses and one draw, not too bad for a team that was cobbled together in such a short time, with a collection of mainly journeymen players some of whom are in their mid to early 30s. Would appear that we play better at home than away, E.g Home record is 4 played, 3 wins and one draw, away 5 games played, 2 wins and 3 losses. Its going to take time guys, to get to where we want to be. We have good owners now and some players and backroom staff will no doubt change as times go on. Fact is that we are a happier club after the hell of the last 3 years and i am sure that with patience we will be back in the football League in not too long a time. I feel that this season is all about stabilisation and the launching point for next season.

That is a good post. Well, I am happy enough with the way things are going at the moment . Considering the hell the club went through these past three years I think we are doing alright. I still think we have a decent chance to win a play off spot so it's all still to play for.
RedDwarf
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:54 am

RedDwarf wrote:
Sid Bishop wrote:Well we are coming up to the ten League games played benchmark that many including myself have talked of. So whats the verdict so far ? 9 games played, 5 wins, 3 losses and one draw, not too bad for a team that was cobbled together in such a short time, with a collection of mainly journeymen players some of whom are in their mid to early 30s. Would appear that we play better at home than away, E.g Home record is 4 played, 3 wins and one draw, away 5 games played, 2 wins and 3 losses. Its going to take time guys, to get to where we want to be. We have good owners now and some players and backroom staff will no doubt change as times go on. Fact is that we are a happier club after the hell of the last 3 years and i am sure that with patience we will be back in the football League in not too long a time. I feel that this season is all about stabilisation and the launching point for next season.

That is a good post. Well, I am happy enough with the way things are going at the moment . Considering the hell the club went through these past three years I think we are doing alright. I still think we have a decent chance to win a play off spot so it's all still to play for.

Yes good comment. Sensible post and much on the lines of how I see it !!
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by ChingfordRed » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:07 am

Regardless of how Tuesday night goes we've certainly exceeded my expectations of the first ten games, personally I thought we'd have three or four wins and be mid-table at best.
ChingfordRed
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Bill Roffey's Left Foot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:08 am

Nigel Travis stated as soon as soon as he took over Leyton Orient that this was the start of a long term plan to get the club back into the football league. There was only nine players on the books when he took over and Martin Ling had to assemble a squad in about six weeks ready for the new season. We know some of the players are in their thirties but they have all played at a higher level and it is not easy getting players to drop into the National League. The club's first aim was consolidation and then try to move on from that. We are in a very competitive League and the table does not lie, just six points separates the top nineteen clubs. It will take time and if we do go up this year it will be a bonus but I feel it will be a long hard winter ahead. Remember, we have got our club back and first and foremost we should be thankful for that.
Bill Roffey's Left Foot
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Jurgen Windcaller's Horn » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:12 am

Sid Bishop wrote:

But seems from many comments on this board.... ( for just one, note the thread ''Davis' ') that some supporters, after only 9 games played, are already getting impatient and even talking of getting rid of the manager Steve Davis !!

I'll say what I said on that thread: literally no-one on here has suggested we get rid of Davis. People read what they want to read, I guess.

To answer your original post, I think results have been better than expected, but performances have been generally quite poor. We have only convinced against the very poorest sides (Guiseley, Solihull) and struggled badly against any organised side who play with an element of physicality. I think we're in a false position at the moment, and are destined to finish in the middle of the pack somewhere (not that that is an inherently bad result, all things considered).
Jurgen Windcaller's Horn
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 am

ChingfordRed wrote:Regardless of how Tuesday night goes we've certainly exceeded my expectations of the first ten games, personally I thought we'd have three or four wins and be mid-table at best.

Hope that we do not get too many long term injuries to the players, especially the older ones. I am just happy that we are STILL in existence and now have good owners. Its not going to be a 5 minute fix to sort everything out. We are doing ok and a bonus to be in the top 4 so early in the season. The main worry pre season for myself was that we would be able to field a competitive team and avoid relegation, so far, so good.
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 am

Bill Roffey's Left Foot wrote:Nigel Travis stated as soon as soon as he took over Leyton Orient that this was the start of a long term plan to get the club back into the football league. There was only nine players on the books when he took over and Martin Ling had to assemble a squad in about six weeks ready for the new season. We know some of the players are in their thirties but they have all played at a higher level and it is not easy getting players to drop into the National League. The club's first aim was consolidation and then try to move on from that. We are in a very competitive League and the table does not lie, just six points separates the top nineteen clubs. It will take time and if we do go up this year it will be a bonus but I feel it will be a long hard winter ahead. Remember, we have got our club back and first and foremost we should be thankful for that.

Spot on !!
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by LOFC1948 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:29 am

Spot on again.
Let's be honest , six months ago we were in deep trouble as as a club and we really didn't believe we would still be playing at BR come the new season. We now have owners with level heads and sensible plans. If we finish the season in the play offs - and from what I've seen of the opposition so far we might well do - we should look at this season as a success.
LOFC1948
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:03 am

I wouldn't say we've exceeded expectations to be honest. We've made tough work of putting away some teams with really poor budgets (ie Solihull/Guiseley), been a bit fortunate in some games such as Maidstone/Maidenhead, and some really dreadful performances on a par when we had boys against men in League Two. And lets not forget the manager got most of his targets.

Woking was a good performance and possibly the true 90-minute one where we have been assured against a decent home side - which is where we want to be.

But given that we have an entirely new set up, some of these things are to be expected. Overall, I'd predicted we'd be slightly outside the play-offs this season and I think our performances are commensurate with that. I know some thicko will come on and point out 'we're in the play-off positions in the table!' but I believe that to be a slightly false position at the moment. Don't think there has been any matches where we have been hard done by yet - and no doubt there will be some.

So so far, not great, but not terrible either. Let's not use the League table to try and justify things, because no doubt if we were 16th, the same people would be using 'only 2 points off the play-offs' excuse.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Disoriented » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:27 am

Sid Bishop wrote:

Hang on Sid. I don't recall anyone saying anything of the sort.
Disoriented
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by orientony » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:41 am

Bill Roffey's Left Foot wrote:Nigel Travis stated as soon as soon as he took over Leyton Orient that this was the start of a long term plan to get the club back into the football league. There was only nine players on the books when he took over and Martin Ling had to assemble a squad in about six weeks ready for the new season. We know some of the players are in their thirties but they have all played at a higher level and it is not easy getting players to drop into the National League. The club's first aim was consolidation and then try to move on from that. We are in a very competitive League and the table does not lie, just six points separates the top nineteen clubs. It will take time and if we do go up this year it will be a bonus but I feel it will be a long hard winter ahead. Remember, we have got our club back and first and foremost we should be thankful for that.

Maybe they would prefer us not going up just yet as that would mean major investment ,tht they are not willing to make just yet
I remember us 2007/8 under ling being up there at xmas boyd and thornton were flying .We never strengthened a small squad
in the jan window the others did and we missed out .Lack of ambition or lack of money I suppose the 2 are linked
orientony
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by WaitingForGodO » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:00 pm

Spot on

But don't play on an artificial benchmark since January is a better place

At 10 games I've got my mind set on consolidation
It's going to take time and a whole lotta money
To get it right...child

The travelling raspberries
WaitingForGodO
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Sid Bishop » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Disoriented wrote:
Sid Bishop wrote:

Hang on Sid. I don't recall anyone saying anything of the sort.

Yes perhaps more like some on this forum seem to be somewhat dissatisfied with the way he sets up the team, tactics, his choice and timings of substitutions etc and a few saying he was a bad choice from the start. As to talk of some supporters getting impatient and talking of sacking Davis, well more like it is loose talk amongst some supporters whilst watching the games as on ''Davis'' thread one example here in a comment by @OneTonneBaby E.g ''Although some geezer next to me was saying he'd give him 2 more games before sacking him...:clown:''
Thing is that being a football manager is a hard job and nearly all managers end up getting the sack at sometime or the other in their career. So as it is, leave him to get on with his job, all in all he is doing an ok job, so leave well alone for this season and no doubt the powers that be will review the teams progress as and when required and make any changes that need doing.
Sid Bishop
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Jeepster » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:42 pm

More points on the board than I expected, tbh. I was worried the club was in such disarray we'd do a York and struggle the adjust this season quickly enough. But we look very brittle at times and the games we've been turned over too easily suggests this group and tactics won't see us trouble the top 7.
Jeepster
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by ChingfordRed » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 pm

ChingfordRed wrote:Regardless of how Tuesday night goes we've certainly exceeded my expectations of the first ten games, personally I thought we'd have three or four wins and be mid-table at best.

Still stand by this.
ChingfordRed
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

Next

Return to General Chat