There is no intention to go up this year!

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

Re: There is no intention to go up this year!

PostPosted by eagwgw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:48 am

Lol, Travis again I think is being diplomatic. We aren't far beyond expectations. With the squad we had even at short notice I don't think the expectation was us to be even close to the bottom.

What is the point of worrying about Harrold now? Trying to extrapolate his performance based on last night is about as silly as trying to claim he would get 20 goals after his first performance. We already know from his previous record that he isn't a great finisher, but he puts himself about a bit and offers us something different. Strange that we could have done this with Ollie Palmer after most matches, but because 'he works so hard!' it was never an issue.

The contract issue is meaningless without further details. We just don't know if it was more economical to sign people for two years instead of one, was a decent thing to do for the player because it gave him stability and meant he didn't have to worry half way through. It could even be that we have some kind of break clause in there after a certain amount of time. Most things are possible.

I sincerely hope that behind the scenes there isn't this touchy-feely 'we have a club' bullshit going on. We need to be serious about things, and that includes honest appraisals about results and performances. If things aren't good enough, we have to get to the bottom of it, instead of using crappy 'bad day at the office' excuses. If I were Mr Travis I would be fully willing to accept that things take time now, but as the months tick on in the season we need to be seeing demonstrable improvements in performances.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Eagw bang on the money as ever.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by AjaxTreesDown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:29 am

aylesburyos wrote:I read an article where the Borehamwood owner stated that due to their small budget

Boreham Wood play the small resources thing quite often. I would ignore it, they are perfectly well resourced for this level - e.g. stealing Scott Doe from Dagenham.

Didn't Davis say there were 7 or 8 clubs with larger budgets than us this season? It's not exactly like we're pissing out money to go for broke. Imo top half would be acceptable with a real go at it next season.

Which players are on two year deals?
AjaxTreesDown
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by LOFC1948 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:48 am

Learning curve season for all at LOFC. Ups and downs for sure - if we sneak the plays offs it will be a great achievement.
LOFC1948
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by The Librarian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 am

And whatever anyone says, it's still no fun watching the O's lose!
The Librarian

PostPosted by tuffers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:02 am

Give it to Jabo wrote:If this season is about stabilising the club - why do our homegrown talented youngsters not get games?

They do get games , they are now back playing youth team football & or reserve games .

What our homegrown youth should be doing .
Developing physically tactically & mentally after the manful yet abjectily poor finish last season .
tuffers
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Give it to Jabo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:10 pm

aylesburyos wrote:I said previously we should have signed players on 1 year contracts and got slated. The likes of Harrold, Lawless, Lee was there a big queue for them? No there was not. We are now stuck with them

Harrold looked a journeyman last night.
Give it to Jabo
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:45 pm

AjaxTreesDown wrote:
aylesburyos wrote:I read an article where the Borehamwood owner stated that due to their small budget

Boreham Wood play the small resources thing quite often. I would ignore it, they are perfectly well resourced for this level - e.g. stealing Scott Doe from Dagenham.

Didn't Davis say there were 7 or 8 clubs with larger budgets than us this season? It's not exactly like we're pissing out money to go for broke. Imo top half would be acceptable with a real go at it next season.

Do you really think we've brought so many people down here from League/SPL football and are playing peanuts?

Our budget will rival anyone else in this league. After an initial settling in period, which we've pretty much reached the end of, there are no excuses for failing to be competitive. And i don't think Travis or Teague will tolerate things if they don't start to improve. They've both got track records of success and despite all of Teagues nicey niceness, he's not here to spunk money up the wall. He will be wanting a return on his investment - I know no-one wants to ask him too much about how exactly for fear of upsetting him - and arsing about mid table in non-league indefinitely is not going to get him that.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by aylesburyos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm

We have far far bigger budgets than Borehamwood, Halifax and Bromley. Reckon double of each of them
aylesburyos
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by ChingfordRed » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:12 pm

aylesburyos wrote:We have far far bigger budgets than Borehamwood, Halifax and Bromley. Reckon double of each of them

Not sure about having a far bigger budget than one of the above.

Look at their gates then look at the quality of their squad, they're certainly not short of a few bob.
ChingfordRed
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by A Pedant » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Boreham Wood no doubt get a decent wedge each year from Arsenal, for use of the facilities. The perimeter advertising alone was evidence of that - several of them had Arsenal's logo, mascot or Emirates Airlines.
A Pedant
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by Loyal_Supporter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:29 pm

VinnyO wrote:Having read some people's comments, it's become obvious that they need reminding that Nigel said from day 1 of the takeover that this season is all about stabilizing the club and not about promotion.

I'd like to also remind certain fans that Martin and Steve have both said that they didn't have enough time to properly look over the players, likewise I would imagine with Steve's appointment. Therefore what has been put together is in no way what Martin and Steve see as the perfect setup.

That's the reality I'm afraid and need to put any thoughts of promotion to bed, remind yourselves of how things were over the last three years and be thankful that we are not watching a Phoenix club playing in the depths of the Essex Senior league.

Perfectly put Vinny and agree completely.
Loyal_Supporter
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:24 pm

I also remember what Bechetti said on day one. And Bazza on his first day.

These guys say whatever they want to be heard. Behind the scenes is a totally different matter. There's no way Teague will have handed over one of, if not the, biggest budgets in this division and told the management team to take their time, see where we are in 2 or 3 years time, not to worry about anything.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by The Terminator » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Off The Hook wrote:I also remember what Bechetti said on day one. And Bazza on his first day.

These guys say whatever they want to be heard. Behind the scenes is a totally different matter. There's no way Teague will have handed over one of, if not the, biggest budgets in this division and told the management team to take their time, see where we are in 2 or 3 years time, not to worry about anything.

The last summer we had was a tough one, we all have to remember that. We ended up feeding off scraps in the transfer market and a few of these players we've signing won't be good enough to take us forward. Davis came in very late as well and it wasn't ideal. So I think the owners have to cut Davis, Ling and co some slack, as do we and have some patience and take these defeats which come on the chin to an extent

But I can see where you're coming from and whilst I think Davis will be given a chance, these first 9/10 games have shown me that in the long term he won't be the man to take us forward, tactically I don't think he will learn from his mistakes - Similar to his time at Crewe.

We're all going to have to wait a season I feel before anything really comes together, as Marshall Taylor touched on from his programme notes last night - Things are only just settling down.
The Terminator
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 pm

The Terminator wrote:
Off The Hook wrote:I also remember what Bechetti said on day one. And Bazza on his first day.

The last summer we had was a tough one, we all have to remember that. We ended up feeding off scraps in the transfer market and a few of these players we've signing won't be good enough to take us forward. Davis came in very late as well and it wasn't ideal. So I think the owners have to cut Davis, Ling and co some slack, as do we and have some patience and take these defeats which come on the chin to an extent

But I can see where you're coming from and whilst I think Davis will be given a chance, these first 9/10 games have shown me that in the long term he won't be the man to take us forward, tactically I don't think he will learn from his mistakes - Similar to his time at Crewe.

We're all going to have to wait a season I feel before anything really comes together, as Marshall Taylor touched on from his programme notes last night - Things are only just settling down.

Not seen the programme notes last night but otherwise yeah, fair comments all round.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Still's Carenae » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Listen to the podcasts.
That will give you the answer.
Still's Carenae
Level Three Boarder
Level Three Boarder

PostPosted by orientony » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 pm

Give it to Jabo wrote:
aylesburyos wrote:I said previously we should have signed players on 1 year contracts and got slated. The likes of Harrold, Lawless, Lee was there a big queue for them? No there was not. We are now stuck with them

Harrold looked a journeyman last night.

well there's a suprise ,that's what he and most players in the lower leagues are , players that go from club to club to ply their trade
aylesbury ever wondered why you were slated
2yr contracts are right for this league ,provide stability for club and players .you're pretty good at unsubstantiated bold statements
how do you know if these players had offers on the table or not,are you their agent or are you just trying to justify yout own
opinion of their ability
orientony
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by orientony » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm

aylesburyos wrote:We have far far bigger budgets than Borehamwood, Halifax and Bromley. Reckon double of each of them

another bold unsubstantiated statement how do you know or is this just another assumption .
even if you are right ,so what, does that mean we are going to do better than they are, of course
leicester city won the premiership because their budget was bigger than those financial minnows
chelsea ,man ciy,man untd,arsenal ,spurs and liverpool
orientony
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by orientony » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:31 am

there's a lot of statements being made on assumptions people have on the size of our budget and what our owners plans are mate you know diddly squat
about it same as the rest of us , often your points are valid and well thought out ,but all this intrigue is clouding you judgement and making you chat sh!t
orientony
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by AjaxTreesDown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:36 am

Off The Hook wrote:
AjaxTreesDown wrote:

Do you really think we've brought so many people down here from League/SPL football and are playing peanuts?

Our budget will rival anyone else in this league. After an initial settling in period, which we've pretty much reached the end of, there are no excuses for failing to be competitive. And i don't think Travis or Teague will tolerate things if they don't start to improve. They've both got track records of success and despite all of Teagues nicey niceness, he's not here to spunk money up the wall. He will be wanting a return on his investment - I know no-one wants to ask him too much about how exactly for fear of upsetting him - and arsing about mid table in non-league indefinitely is not going to get him that.

I sort of agree, but I think the top 10 or so are likely to be quite close to each other and we will have a competitive budget for sure. I also agree with they're not here to spunk money up the wall, but given the lack of proper preparation time we've had and the lack of anything when they came in, I still think top half would be acceptable for this season.

I agree that failing to be competitive would be a massive problem, but we've won half our games. Granted against Sutton and Boreham Wood there showed a worrying similarity of issues (two shots combined on target, both from around 30 yards for example) and there's really nothing acceptable about losing 6-1 at Bromley.

Edit: was also a bit disappointed to hear we've used up our budget. I was hoping there would be a little bit stashed for, well, about now really, to correct a few things.
AjaxTreesDown
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat