There is no intention to go up this year!

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

There is no intention to go up this year!

PostPosted by VinnyO » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 am

Having read some people's comments, it's become obvious that they need reminding that Nigel said from day 1 of the takeover that this season is all about stabilizing the club and not about promotion.

I'd like to also remind certain fans that Martin and Steve have both said that they didn't have enough time to properly look over the players, likewise I would imagine with Steve's appointment. Therefore what has been put together is in no way what Martin and Steve see as the perfect setup.

That's the reality I'm afraid and need to put any thoughts of promotion to bed, remind yourselves of how things were over the last three years and be thankful that we are not watching a Phoenix club playing in the depths of the Essex Senior league.
VinnyO
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

Re: There is no intention to go up this year!

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:26 am

You're pretty much spot on for me, Vinny. I come away from these games still smiling because we've got the best owners we could have asked for and every last toxin out from the last 3 years.

This year will be up and down. If we sneak into the playoffs, amazing- if we don't- no big deal. We'll have a whole pre season next year to properly prepare and identify the right players. We started on June 22nd this year, as Ling and Davis have said- most teams start planning in March or April time.

I'm still grateful for what we've got. Yes it's depressing in this league but with what we've been through what do people expect exactly? It's the usual delusional folk that thought we were going to run away with this league, on the basis of what exactly I'm not sure
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by redintheface » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:30 am

VinnyO wrote:Having read some people's comments, it's become obvious that they need reminding that Nigel said from day 1 of the takeover that this season is all about stabilizing the club and not about promotion.

I'd like to also remind certain fans that Martin and Steve have both said that they didn't have enough time to properly look over the players, likewise I would imagine with Steve's appointment. Therefore what has been put together is in no way what Martin and Steve see as the perfect setup.

That's the reality I'm afraid and need to put any thoughts of promotion to bed, remind yourselves of how things were over the last three years and be thankful that we are not watching a Phoenix club playing in the depths of the Essex Senior league.

Good points Vinny, but you're never going to stop fans hoping that their club can succeed and then getting disappointed if they don't! If we can avoid too many long term injuries , the squad that Ling/ Davis have put together should be good enough to keep us in and around the play off spots imho but doesn't look to have the resilience necessary to gain promotion to me. As you say not a perfect set up but better than what we have had.
redintheface
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Andersonitis » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 am

Agreed
Almost like most of the boarders on here
Are pleased we lose
So they can write their usual tripe I told you so crap
In any business you take the rough with the move and try to find the positive
But the negativity on here is embarrassing
Halifax I'll be astonished will end up better than mid table
As for Sutton they'll be nowhere
I can see this league is going to be like a merry-go-round

Please not lose sight of the fact that we're 3 points away from the top spot & we are better than most of the teams in this league.
But the negativity of some of the fans could send us right to the bottom
Our first home loss
Yes you get one of them in a season
Last edited by Andersonitis on Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andersonitis
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by gshaw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 am

We'll see how much ambition there is to get out this league based on how many loans come in. This squad will struggle with injuries due to age and needs the backup.

Staying down in this league for more than 2-3 years will keep us there long term.
gshaw
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Smiley Culture » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:54 am

We're averaging 1.6 points a game, which over the course of a season works out at 73.6 points but I'm rounding it up to 74pts over a 46 game season. These are where we'd have finished with 74pts over the past ten Conference/Vanarama/Blue Square/whatever it was called seasons;

8th, 8th, 8th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 6th, 6th, 9th, 7th.

I'd rip your hand off for anywhere between 6th-9th.
Smiley Culture
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by jamie9456 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:55 am

Spot on Smiley
jamie9456
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Scuba Diver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:07 am

VinnyO wrote:I'd like to also remind certain fans that Martin and Steve have both said that they didn't have enough time to properly look over the players, likewise I would imagine with Steve's appointment. Therefore what has been put together is in no way what Martin and Steve see as the perfect setup.

Good points.
The intention of the club (and fans) just a few short weeks ago was just to get a team out in the National, and complete the season.
Clearly we will achieve this.

Perceptions can obviously change very quickly. In the South last night there was a lot of rancour and hystrionics, no doubt fuelled by the fact we 'should' beat Halifax and that sense of expectancy. Albeit a few short weeks ago many were saying they'd be happy provided we were not in a relegation fight.

The hysteria on this message board after every defeat is somewhat embarrassing, however I think most would agree that Davis probably needs a tactical re-think as his intent to 'out-football' the National league has clearly been found out to a large extent,
Scuba Diver
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:29 am

Reading this you would have thought that 75% of fans would have predicted to us to be in the top 3.
In fact, I don't recall many people at all predicting that. I think most people actually said mid-table and the play-offs would be a bonus.

There is some kind of bizarre mind-bending here where people are pretending that every fan expected 1st-3rd place just as a justification for their rant.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Give it to Jabo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:38 am

If this season is about stabilising the club - why do our homegrown talented youngsters not get games?
Give it to Jabo
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 am

Isn't it obvious?

Publically, Travis and co want to temper expectations to avoid putting too much pressure on people.
Privately, they probably are believing they have spent sufficient money to have a serious stab at getting out of the division at the first attempt.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Leopold Bloom » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:59 am

I would have thought that the owners would be delighted to get us into the play-offs. The money generated would be a huge asset, especially getting to the Final. To then loose out, would still mean plenty of cash for the following season.
Leopold Bloom
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by aylesburyos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:01 am

Should we not be doing better than the likes of Borehamwood & Halifax? I read an article where the Borehamwood owner stated that due to their small budget they can not go for the first tranche of released players and go for the left overs. In addition Halifax have only just been promoted to the NL. These are 2 clubs with smaller budgets and squads than us. We did not look like scoring on Saturday & last night (I can't make midweek matches) seems as if we did not look like winning. To let in 11 goals v Bromley, Borehamwood & Halifax is very poor
aylesburyos
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by rhino » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:06 am

We have a Club to support,

with owners that give a toss,

and we are playing at a decent level.

It will take time to gel.

we are one behind the team.

onwards and upwards

however long it will take!
rhino
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Hutch » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:23 am

The teams that have beaten us have all looked better organised and had more obvious gameplans than we've had. We lack a plan B, and we're short of pace. All of which is maddening but not surprising given where we were in July. We look what we are – a mid-table side, and I'm surprised anyone is surprised.
Hutch
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Smiley Culture » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 am

rhino wrote:We have a Club to support,

with owners that give a toss,

and we are playing at a decent level.

It will take time to gel.

we are one behind the team.

onwards and upwards

however long it will take!

"We have a club to support" is the new "If it wasn't for Hearn, there would be no Orient" and "Give Becchetti a chance, he's spending his own money".
Smiley Culture
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by omygawd » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am

Hutch wrote:The teams that have beaten us have all looked better organised and had more obvious gameplans than we've had. We lack a plan B, and we're short of pace. All of which is maddening but not surprising given where we were in July. We look what we are – a mid-table side, and I'm surprised anyone is surprised.

Agree with this but would add that we are also lacking physicality. Too easily and regularly out muscled.
omygawd
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by faith1234 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:29 am

I said that we will finish 10th this season was about getting our club back anythink else take's time
faith1234
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by The Librarian » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:30 am

Everyone should be delighted that we have a club to support, there's no questioning that.
Travis said last night that we are doing far beyond expectations and the the club is on track.This is great too.

What worries me is that we have most of these players on two year contracts, if Harrold (for example) can't score from six yards out with an open goal in front of him, is he going to improve over the two years? Will we be better next season than this? With the players we have the answer has to be no.
The Librarian

PostPosted by aylesburyos » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:38 am

I said previously we should have signed players on 1 year contracts and got slated. The likes of Harrold, Lawless, Lee was there a big queue for them? No there was not. We are now stuck with them
aylesburyos
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

Next

Return to General Chat