**MEET THE OWNERS - PART 2**

Post about Leyton Orient or anything else

**MEET THE OWNERS - PART 2**

PostPosted by NussO » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:10 pm

The Orient Outlook Podcast have recorded the Meet The Owners Evening with Nigel Travis and Kent Teague at the Supporters Club.

Listen to Part 2 now on our iTunes page or www.soundcloud.com/orient-outlook!

Hope you all enjoy listening to Nigel and Kent.

Up the O's!
NussO

Re: **MEET THE OWNERS - PART 2**

PostPosted by Loyal_Supporter » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Paul did a fantistic job tonight. He was minus his partner but did amazing.
Loyal_Supporter
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by AjaxTreesDown » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Who was that talking from the LOFT committee about the regeneration fund? The f*** is he talking about?
AjaxTreesDown
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by OrientOutlookPodcast » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:42 am

AjaxTreesDown wrote:Who was that talking from the LOFT committee about the regeneration fund? The f*** is he talking about?

That was Dave Knight.
OrientOutlookPodcast
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:59 am

AjaxTreesDown wrote:Who was that talking from the LOFT committee about the regeneration fund? The f*** is he talking about?

What was said? I won't get to listen to the 2nd half until tonight.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by OrientOutlookPodcast » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:04 am

Off The Hook wrote:

What was said? I won't get to listen to the 2nd half until tonight.

Too much to put in a thread on here OTH.
OrientOutlookPodcast
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by Lord Griff » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:47 am

Personally I thought he made a valid point.

Someone asked the question about a fan on the board - Kent then said that all 6 board members were all fans. This led me to believe that they were reconsidering the idea of allowing a fan on the board (and I suspect Dave thought the same).

The regeneration fund was then discussed and Dave Knight commented that he was disappointed with Kents comments and then it was mentioned that there would be a 7th board member, who would represent the fans.

Dave then mentioned that part of the regeneration fund rules meant that if Orient were taken over, the fund could be used to buy shares or invest into the club, to give us fan representation on the board - Kent confirmed that this would not be required and a fan will be invited into the board without having to provide any investment.

This means that LOFT will have to decide what happens to the 180k and I would suggest this should be voted for at the next LOFT meeting....
Lord Griff
Level Two Boarder
Level Two Boarder

PostPosted by AjaxTreesDown » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:25 am

I thought it had been pretty clear since day one there would be a general supporter representation on the board. The fact he's throwing around that the regeneration fund should be spent on something that has been guaranteed (and if it hasn't, surely the question should be why not, rather than throwing 180k of donated money as the first move) I find very bizarre.
AjaxTreesDown
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by A Pedant » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:38 am

Thanks LG, yes that's exactly what we're doing.

And before anyone asks, the 'dilemma' referred to by Nigel is the one that's been discussed here at length in the Regeneration Fund thread, namely whether and how to use the fund in a way that is both legally and morally right given the mandate it operates under. As Nigel said, we've been open with them about this and they understand the dilemma. And as we've said for some time, any final plan to spend (or indeed not spend) the fund will be discussed with members at a meeting.

The Supporter Director on the board is not linked to the Regeneration Fund. I think Dave was referring to the original principle in our minds when we started the fund, namely that one possible scenario was to use the fund to increase supporter representation at the club if a new potential owner came along.
A Pedant
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:50 am

I disagree with Teague on his first point. In the strict sense of the word, every football club is unique. There isn't another Leyton Orient. But after that, I think it might be slightly arrogant to think that we are better, more passionate supporters than anyone else, or that we do more for the community than any other team. For a neutral football tourist at present, there is no brand 'premium' attached to us over another club. Obviously that can change, but it needs real proven results, just a group of fans in a room kissing each others butts about how good fans we are doesn't make us unique. Becoming truly community focused means spending real money for intangible benefits that may or may not become real, and I don't think that was what Teague signed up for.

I feel the LOFT guy rather missed the point. The policy document says fairly plainly that purchasing representation on the board would only be a case if there was a negotiated sale of the club involving LOFT.
It also seems fairly clear to me from what Travis and Teague are saying is LOFT were not formally part of the takeover. If that formality is not there it seems moot to be trying to discuss this, otherwise it would have been smoothed over a long time ago.

And I actually think it is really wise for the club not to touch the money in respect of this, because it doesn't give them a moral obligation to accept someone connected to LOFT in some way as a board representative, which LOFT would never admit but I am sure they would desire. I've been very vocal about the board representative being able to hold this type of position on merit, and Adam aside I don't feel there is much suitability there. Given the discussions on here have been done to death, I thought it was a surprising stance.

Travis' subsequent comment on 'qualifications' reads to me that he wants people on merit as well. I even feel at this stage it would be better to go for someone who isn't scared to challenge the status quo and also realise the big picture. It's all very warm and fuzzy Teague claiming all the board are fans, but sometimes that isn't always a good thing, as the interests of the club may be different to the interests of the fans, and there should be some check on emotions clouding judgement.

My gut feeling about this is that LOFT are trying to flog something that Travis and Teague are not really that interested in. Teague almost sounded a little tetchy in declining the proposal of paying to get on the board.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by A Pedant » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:57 am

eagwgw wrote:Teague almost sounded a little tetchy in declining the proposal of paying to get on the board.

Just to be absolutely clear, there is no proposal whatsoever to link the Regeneration Fund to a place on the board. The Supporter Director (and there's only going to be one) is entirely separate.
A Pedant
Level Four Boarder
Level Four Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:00 am

A Pedant wrote:
eagwgw wrote:Teague almost sounded a little tetchy in declining the proposal of paying to get on the board.

Just to be absolutely clear, there is no proposal whatsoever to link the Regeneration Fund to a place on the board. The Supporter Director (and there's only going to be one) is entirely separate.

That seems to contradict directly what was said.

'The idea of the regeneration fund would be used to try and get supporter representation in the club, on the board', was a direct quote (from about 18m45s in). If that isn't a place on the board, what does that mean? Buying staff for the womens or youth team (some of the other ideas mooted) does not give representation.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Still's Carenae » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:19 am

Eagwgw - With regard to us being unique, Kent said that he has looked at many clubs around the world and has not been enamoured with any other club. There is obviously something here that has a different perspective. As we are all on the inside, it is difficult to see. But from the outside it is very different. Look at how you view other football teams when going away from home. How does there ground feel, homely? What about there supporters? What about there community outside and inside the club? There are so many facets.
Still's Carenae
Level Three Boarder
Level Three Boarder

PostPosted by eagwgw » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:34 am

Think you have been suckered in somewhat.

He bought us because we were an investment opportunity, and Nigel Travis was in his corner, not because he had any love for Leyton. I doubt he even knew where the place was beforehand.

Let's say it fell through and he bought Dagenham and Redbridge. What would he say: 'I looked at Leyton Orient and they were better but unfortunately I couldn't get the deal over the line?' He'd be saying exactly the same things about any other club he bought, and of course the fans would lap it up.

When I go to most other teams I see fans just like us, for the most part. I find it slightly arrogant to just assume we have better supporters, a richer history, or do more for the community or that their grounds are inferior just because I am not used to it.

We are unique only in name and location. Do other clubs not do community work, or have nights where the owners speak to the fans, or donate to local charities? It seems that people are happy to pretend it doesn't happen elsewhere if it makes them feel better about their club. And all clubs have fans that think this way.
eagwgw
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by Level Ten Boarder » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

Agree with earwig on the above.

Completely differing opinions from LOFT people again I see on the fund, can't you all get on the same page?

Also, don't see why we need another 'supporter' on the board when Porter is already there. Seems like overkill, especially as we already have Keren in the liason role.
Level Ten Boarder
Elite Boarder
Elite Boarder

PostPosted by OnlyOneOinLeytOn » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am

I haven't listened to the recording of last night yet, but this Knight/Teague discussion is a crucial one IMO - the fund proposal document gives only three ways in which the fund might be deployed, and only one which it definitely would not. Two of those three reasons (LOFC going into admin, or being liquidated) clearly did not happen (yet), and the third was the subject of the Knight/Teague debate.

The wording of this scenario is quite clear: "If LOFT (either on its own or as part of a consortium) were to enter into agreement to buy the club from the current owner" (my emphasis). Now, I'm not privy to the details, but it seems obvious to me that although LOFT may have been involved in discussions, and offered support to T&T throughout, but I don't think they entered into any "agreement" (i.e. we co-signatories a contract) alongside the new owners. Of course, it's entirely possible that some in LOFT thought they did - but they're going to need some sort of formal document to confirm this, if Teague is now saying "hey it was just two ships passing in the night, guys, I never said we were gonna get married".

Of course this leaves LOFT in an interesting position vis-à-vis what to do with the dosh now, as there's a huge array of possibilities between the three scenarios they were mandated for, and the one they were mandated against. If DK is saying that the only reasonable use of the funds would be to buy a stake in the club (or save it for a future crisis) then I agree with him. All the other possibilities advanced do not seem to be in the spirit in which the money was originally raised.
OnlyOneOinLeytOn
Level Five Boarder
Level Five Boarder

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:27 am

OnlyOneOinLeytOn wrote:
The wording of this scenario is quite clear: "If LOFT (either on its own or as part of a consortium) were to enter into agreement to buy the club from the current owner" (my emphasis). Now, I'm not privy to the details, but it seems obvious to me that although LOFT may have been involved in discussions, and offered support to T&T throughout, but I don't think they entered into any "agreement" (i.e. we co-signatories a contract) alongside the new owners. Of course, it's entirely possible that some in LOFT thought they did - but they're going to need some sort of formal document to confirm this, if Teague is now saying "hey it was just two ships passing in the night, guys, I never said we were gonna get married".

FINALLY!!!
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:29 am

A Pedant wrote:And before anyone asks, the 'dilemma' referred to by Nigel is the one that's been discussed here at length in the Regeneration Fund thread, namely whether and how to use the fund in a way that is both legally and morally right given the mandate it operates under. As Nigel said, we've been open with them about this and they understand the dilemma. And as we've said for some time, any final plan to spend (or indeed not spend) the fund will be discussed with members at a meeting.

But you can't spend the fund. There were 3 scenarios laid down in which the fund could be used. Neither have materialised.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

PostPosted by Max B Gold » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:38 am

Off The Hook wrote:
OnlyOneOinLeytOn wrote:

FINALLY!!!

Ah at last I get what you've been banging on about incessantly*. But I'm not convinced that LOFT's "official" position was any different from the one you and I both support.

*relentlessly
Last edited by Max B Gold on Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max B Gold
Boarding Heavyweight
Boarding Heavyweight

PostPosted by Off The Hook » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:40 am

Relentlessly, not incessantly.
Off The Hook
Boarding Hall of Fame
Boarding Hall of Fame

Next

Return to General Chat